Wednesday 25 February 2015

Asking for Help: It can be hard, but it's worth it.

I recently read a really good post by Love Peace Beauty called Accepting and Asking for Help. This is something we all need to do from time to time, yet we often find so hard to do. 


It reminds me of when I was pregnant with Kiddo2 and my mom (a veteran of 9 pregnancies) told me I should ask the nurse to take care of the baby that first night after she’s born. Gasp! Wouldn't that make me a terrible mother? I felt so embarrassed to ask and was sure the nurse would think me incompetent. 
I took her advice, however, and I have to admit that sleeping well for that first night was actually a blessing in disguise. It not only helped me to recover far quicker and with less complications than I did with Kiddo1 (who’d kept me up the entire first night), but it gave me the extra stamina that I would need over the following 10 days going back and forth from home to hospital while baby needed to stay under a UV lamp for her jaundice. 

The baby was no worse for the few hours she was away from me that night (they brought her in to feed a couple times), the nurse certainly did not mind, and I was very grateful that I took my mom's advice and asked for help.

With this pregnancy plus a major move underway, I find myself with less energy than I've had previously and I'm definitely in need of a lot more help. 

Although they are always happy to oblige, it goes against my nature to ask hubby to carry a box up the stairs that I know my non-pregnant body could easily handle. Or to ask him to cook dinner when I've had an extra long day. It's never easy to see if my MIL can watch the kids so we don't have to drag them with us to my check-ups. 

But I know that pushing my body beyond it's limits will only hurt me, the kids, and my unborn baby. So I'm determined to listen to my body, swallow my pride and ask for help when I need it. 


No comments :

Post a Comment