Monday 9 February 2015

My Top 5 Favorite Kids' Books for Ages 6-9

I am always on the lookout for new books to read with my kids. Our reading time over breakfast every morning is a special time of day and I love that we get to experience these adventures together.

I've compiled a list of my current top 5 books that both my girls loved, and I think would be just as appealing to boys.



#1: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster a fantastic tale to thrill both young and old. I love all the puns and idioms and how the author was able to subtly present some moral values.


 #2: Mrs. Piggle Wiggle by Betty MacDonald is full of great fun and laughs. Each child has a particular bad habit that needs fixing and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle helps parents sort it out with cures from her magical chest. 


#3. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner is a heart-warming story with adventure and mystery. This one was especially popular with Kiddo1 who now has the first 3 (and counting) in the series. 


#4. The Littles by John Peterson, similar to Mary Norton's The Borrowers, is about some tiny humanoid creatures with furry tails who live in a house own by the Biggs. With acts of true bravery, this one is a favorite of Kiddo2 who also now is the proud of owner of 3 books in the series.


#5. No list would be complete without the wonderful Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S.Lewis. I thought at first that it would be a bit above Kiddo2's comprehension level, but how wrong I was! She sat thrilled through each and every page of all 7 books and loved them! 


Any moms out there have a favorite book(s) to share? I'd love to hear from you.

No comments :

Post a Comment